By Mark G. Sobell
Underneath Mac OSR X's beautiful graphical consumer interface (GUI) is the main robust working process ever created: UNIXR. With unequalled readability and perception, this ebook explains UNIX for the Mac OS X usergiving you overall keep an eye on over your procedure, so that you can get extra performed, quicker. construction on Mark Sobell's hugely praised a realistic advisor to the UNIX process, it grants finished suggestions at the UNIX command line instruments each consumer, administrator, and developer must mastertogether with the world's top day by day UNIX reference.This booklet is choked with hundreds of thousands of high quality examples. From networking and procedure utilities to shells and programming, this is often UNIX from the floor upboth the "whys" and the "hows"for each Mac consumer. you will comprehend the relationships among GUI instruments and their command line opposite numbers. want speedy solutions? do not trouble with complicated on-line "manual pages": depend upon this book's example-rich, quick-access, 236-page command reference!"
Read Online or Download A Practical Guide to UNIX® for Mac OS® X Users PDF
Similar unix books
During this fast reference, you'll locate every thing you must learn about the bash shell. no matter if you print it out or learn it at the reveal, this publication grants the solutions to the aggravating questions that usually arise whilst you're writing shell scripts: What characters do you want to cite? How do you get variable substitution to do just what you will have?
Imagine your Mac is robust now? This useful consultant exhibits you the way to get even more out of your approach via tapping into Unix, the strong working process hid underneath OS X's attractive consumer interface. OS X places greater than 1000 Unix instructions at your fingertips--for discovering and handling documents, remotely having access to your Mac from different pcs, and utilizing freely downloadable open resource functions.
This can be a first-class e-book to aid Mac clients methods to use OSX Panther.
Any application worthy its salt makes use of working approach providers. Even an easy application, if functional, reads enter and produces output. And, so much functions have extra advanced wishes. they should discover the time, use the community, or begin and speak with different tactics. structures programming particularly capability not anything greater than writing software program that makes use of those working method companies.
- The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System (2nd Edition)
- Sair Linux and GNU Certification Level II, Apache and Web Servers: Apache and Web Servers Level 2
- Linux Shell Scripting Tutorial, Edition: version 1.0
- A+ certification bible
- Integrated Cisco and UNIX Network Architectures (Cisco Press Networking Technology)
- Exploring Expect: A Tcl-based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs (Nutshell Handbooks)
Additional info for A Practical Guide to UNIX® for Mac OS® X Users
When you log in via a directly connected network, you use ssh (page 847) to connect to the remote system. You can use ssh from the command line or from a graphical environment. From the command line of a terminal or a terminal emulator of an Apple, PC, or UNIX-like machine, give the command ssh, followed by the name or IP address (refer to "Host Address" on page 393) of the system you want to log in on. For examples and more detail refer to "Running Commands from the Terminal Emulator/Shell" on page 24.
6. The example on page 29 shows that man pages for write appear in sections 1 and 2 of the system Part I: The Mac OS X Operating System 51 52 Part I: The Mac OS X Operating System manual. Explain how you can use man to determine which sections of the system manual contain a manual page with a given name. 7. How would you find out which OS X utilities create and work with archive files? 3. The Mac OS X Utilities IN THIS CHAPTER Special Characters 40 Basic Utilities 41 less: Displays a Text File One Screen at a Time 42 Working with Files 43 lpr: Prints a File 45 | (Pipe): Communicates Between Processes 51 Compressing and Archiving Files 54 Locating Commands 58 apropos: Searches for a Keyword 59 Obtaining User and System Information 60 When the first UNIX systems were introduced, and for a long time thereafter, UNIX did not have a graphical interface: It ran on character-based terminals only.
Part I: The Mac OS X Operating System 43 44 Part I: The Mac OS X Operating System Tip: Activating the META key In the Terminal utility, you can make the OPTION (or ALT) key work as the META key. From the Terminal utility File menu, select Window Settings to display the Terminal Inspector window (Figure 2-8). This window provides a drop-down menu of properties that you can change. Select Keyboard, check the box labeled Use option key as meta key, and click Use Settings as Defaults. This procedure causes the OPTION key (on Mac keyboards) or the ALT key (on PC keyboards) to function as the META key while you are using the Terminal utility.